English legal terminology
legal concepts in language
- ISBN: 9789089745477
- Editorial: Eleven International Publishing
- Fecha de la edición: 2011
- Lugar de la edición: The Hague. Países Bajos
- Edición número: 3rd ed.
- Colección: Boom Jurisdiche Studieboeken
- Encuadernación: Rústica
- Medidas: 24 cm
- Nº Pág.: 268
- Idiomas: Inglés
Legal English is a professional language. This means that a good command of ordinary English does not automatically make a student proficient in legal English. Many foreign law students on English language programmes experience problems when suddenly all their lectures, textbooks, discussions and written work have to be in English. A lack of familiarity with legal English can seriously impede their progress. And a command of legal English is not just a desirable academic skill. It has become an absolute 'must' for today's legal professionals working in internationally orientated law firms.
This book offers:
- vocabularies providing sets of legal terminology associated with the legal system, civil procedure, EU law, tort, contract law and company law;
- text putting the terms in the vocabularies into their legal context;
- case discussion questions in order to practice using the terminology;
- knowledge questions to ensure that the reader has understood the legal concepts.
This book is designed for law students who have followed their law studies in a language other than English. Textbooks on English law are too detailed for those who want to understand English legal terminology rather than English law itself. Legal dictionaries are useful but, as the words are ordered alphabetically, terms are treated in isolation.